AYSO Region 58
2013 Extra Program
Updated May 23, 2013 – Teams for the following Divisions have still not been formed. If interested in trying out for one of these Extra teams, please contact Jody Berglund, email@example.com.
BU12 (age 11 on July 31, 2013)
BU14 (age 13 on July 31, 2013)
BU15 (age 14 on July 31, 2013)
BU16 (age 15 on July 31, 2013)
GU14 (age 13 on July 31, 2013)
GU15 (age 14 on July 31, 2013)
GU16 (age 15 on July 31, 2013)
2013 Tryouts Information
Things Required to Participate in Extra Tryouts
If you are interested in your child trying out for an Extra team, please review the following items that are required to participate in the Extra tryouts.
(1) Determine the Extra team that your child will be trying out for based on your child’s age as of July 31, 2013. See the age group division information listed below in the “Team Formation for the 2013 Extra Season” section.
(2) Review the 2013 Extra Tryout Schedule to determine which tryout session(s) your child will attend. Click Tryout Schedule (revised 4/24/2013)
(3) Sign-Up for a tryout session(s) online. You need to sign-up for a tryout session using the Online Tryout Form. Keepers should sign-up for the Goalie Tryout session as well as a regular Open Tryout session. The Online Tryout Sign-Up Form can be accessed by Clicking Here Tryout Sign-Up or by cutting and pasting: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6KFKMR .
(4) Complete the Player Application to bring to Tryouts – The AYSO Extra Program Player Application needs to be completed before you come to the Open Tryout or Goalie Tryout session. The application only needs to be completed once. The application can be accessed by Clicking Here Application or by cutting and pasting http://ayso58.d4sportsadmin.com/object.aspx?id=154 .
(5) Have in your possession a Medical Release Form to bring to Tryouts – It will be necessary for you to bring a completed and signed Medical Release Form for your child to the Tryouts. You can comply with this requirement in any one of three ways:
a. If your child was registered and played AYSO Region 58 soccer in the Fall 2012 season, by accessing the eAYSO system (www.easyo.org), using your Login E-mail and Password, you can print a copy of the MY2012 Player Registration Form (two pages long) and sign it in blue or red ink. This printed form qualifies as a Medical Release Form and is being used for insurance purposes only.
b. If your child was registered and played AYSO Region 58 soccer in the Fall 2012 season, but you cannot generate a Player Registration Form per paragraph (a) above, you can access a blank Player Registration Form by Clicking Blank PRF, (or cutting and pasting http://ayso58.d4sportsadmin.com/object.aspx?id=125), print the blank form, complete the form, and sign it in blue or red ink. This completed form qualifies as a Medical Release Form and is being used for insurance purposes only.
c. If your child did not register and play AYSO Region 58 soccer in the Fall 2012 season, then you will need to complete a Registration / Medical Release form at the park on the day of your first Tryout session and pay a $5 cash fee. This completed form qualifies as a Medical Release Form only for the tryouts and is being used for insurance purposes only.
(6) On the Day of your child’s first Extra Tryout session:
a. Arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled start of the Extra Tryout Session. It will be necessary to review paperwork and check players in.
b. Bring shinguards and socks – Shinguards covered by socks are required and mandatory at each Tryout Session. Soccer cleats are recommended. If the player does not have shinguards and socks they will not be allowed to participate in the Tryouts.
c. Bring your child’s completed Player Application Form.
d. Bring your child’s completed Medical Release Form / Player Registration Form.
e. If completing the Registration / Medical Release form for a child that did not play AYSO Region 58 soccer in the Fall 2012 season (see paragraph 5c), bring $5 cash; no change will be given.
f. Bring water, sun guard, etc.
g. Have fun.
Team Formation for the 2013 Extra Season
We anticipate forming teams in each of seven (7) age group divisions, one team for boys and one team for girls in each age group division. Based on considerations other than availability of a sufficient number of qualified players, teams for certain divisions may not be formed. The age of the child on July 31, 2013, will determine for which age group division the child is eligible. Following are the age group divisions and the corresponding age of an eligible child:
Boys Under 10 (BU10) and Girls Under 10 (GU10) – Age 8 or 9 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Boys Under 11 (BU11) and Girls Under 11 (GU11) – Age 10 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Boys Under 12 (BU12) and Girls Under 12 (GU12) – Age 11 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Boys Under 13 (BU13) and Girls Under 13 (GU13) – Age 12 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Boys Under 14 (BU14) and Girls Under 14 (GU14) – Age 13 on 7/31/2013
Boys Under 15 (BU15) and Girls Under 15 (GU15) – Age 14 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Boys Under 16 (BU16) and Girls Under 16 (GU16) – Age 15 on 7/31/2013 CLOSED
Players will only be permitted to play in the age group division determined by their age on July 31, 2013. Exceptions for players who might be affected by the CIF rules that govern play in high schools may be considered.
Selection of Team Members
Team members will be selected based on participation in a series of tryouts. Tryouts are open to all children. To be considered for an Extra team, players must participate in the Extra team tryouts. If a child does not participate in the tryouts they are not eligible for an Extra team. There are three parts to the tryouts: Open Tryouts; Goalie Tryouts; and Callback Tryouts.
Part 1: Open Tryouts -- As of April 21, Only U14 Division Tryouts are OPEN
The Open Tryouts are open to any child, of the appropriate age, that is interested in trying out for an Extra team. The number of children trying out for a team has historically significantly exceeded the number of available positions on the team. Requirements to participate in the Open Tryouts are detailed below in the “Things Required to Participate in Extra Tryouts” section. There are two dates/times for tryouts for each age group division. Children participating in these Open Tryout sessions will be evaluated.
Part 2: Goalie Tryouts -- CLOSED
Children interested in playing the position of goalie on an Extra team are encouraged to attend the Goalie Tryout session dedicated to evaluating players as goalies. The Goalie Tryout session provides the evaluators an opportunity to focus on a players skills in goal. Only players interested in the position of goalie should attend the Goalie Tryouts.
Part 3: Callback Tryouts -- By Invitation Only
Based on the evaluations of players in the Open Tryout and Goalie Tryout sessions, players will either be invited to the Callback Tryouts or they will be informed that they did not qualify to continue in the tryout process.
Tryouts will be held at the Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Memorial Park, 14326 Hartsook Street, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423. Tryouts are currently scheduled to begin in early April, 2013, be completed by April 22nd, and team selection completed by April 29, 2013. The 2013 Extra Tryout Schedule is posted and available by Clicking Here.
Some General Points of Information:
(1) Extra teams are formed “new” each year. Eligible players are required to tryout for an Extra team each year. Individuals who played on an Extra team the previous year are required to tryout for the current year Extra team. There are no guaranteed roster positions for any player from one year to the next.
(2) Normally, only one Extra team is formed for each age group.
(3) A Selection Committee, comprised of individuals unrelated to the Extra team being formed, determines which players are selected for the Extra team. Potential coaches for the prospective teams are not part of the Selection Committee.
(4) Coaches for the Extra teams are selected “new” each year. Just as players are required to tryout each year, individuals who wish to be an Extra team coach are required to apply each year to be considered and if appropriate selected.
(5) For any particular age group, if as a result of the tryout process it is determined that there are not enough players of the appropriate skill level to form an Extra team, no Extra team will be formed for that particular age group.
(6) Similarly, for any particular age group, if it is determined that an appropriate coach for that age group’s Extra team is not available, no Extra team will be formed for that particular age group.
(7) AYSO Region 58 is an all-volunteer run organization. The success of the Extra program and other AYSO Region 58 programs requires the Active participation of all families as volunteers in fulfilling the various volunteer duties necessary to support the Region’s programs. These duties include, among others: Referee, Team Manager, Snack-Bar, Field Set-Up, Field Monitor, Field Take-Down, Picture Day, various Board Member positions, and others. If the necessary level of volunteer support to provide a quality youth soccer program is not forthcoming, AYSO Region 58 programs may be suspended or cancelled.
(8) The information on this webpage applies for each child who will be trying out for an Extra team. You will need to complete separate complete sets of paperwork, etc., for each child that is trying out for an Extra team.
Thank you for reading through the above information about the AYSO Region 58 Extra program for the Fall 2013 Extra season. If you have any questions, please email The AYSO Region 58 Extra Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.